It’s a simple fact: Life only gets better when you work on yourself. And the good news is that you do not need a complete makeover to improve yourself – a few easy practices can go a long way to uplifting your sense of wellbeing and making your life more meaningful.
Here is how you can get started immediately. 15 Self-Development principles to help you become the very best version of yourself
1. Make a to-do list for the next day Before going to bed, plan ahead for the next day. Knowing exactly what waits for you in the future can effectively optimize your time. It will also stop you from having a sleepless night thinking about all you have to do right out of bed.
2. Get Physical It is known science that physical activity improves our mental health by releasing mood-boosting endorphins into the brain you will feel good for doing something beneficial for your body, and your body will reward you back in kind. Even just 20 minutes of physical exercise a day is sufficient to trigger a flood of those feel-good chemicals.
3. Get out of your Comfort Zone Try something new, whether it is taking a different route to work or traveling to a new part of the world, getting out of your comfort zone allows you to be more resilient to change, which boosts your self-confidence.
4. Laugher Yoga Laughing is one of the most beneficial things you can do for yourself every day. So start your day with Laughter Yoga, and spend time laughing out crazy. You can also re-watch your favorite comedy shows on TV. As William Thackeray said, “A good laugh is sunshine in the house.”
5. Find a Coach The fastest way to improve yourself is to have someone who knows something you don't and can help guide you towards your goals. It is proven, those who work with coaches report achieving appreciably more (and faster) results than if they had gone it alone.
6. Keep a Journal Writing your thoughts helps you look inside when you write, you are able to see patterns in your life that make you happy or sad, relax or upset. You can then start to better understand your own motivations and desires. In short, a journal is a practical way of learning more about yourself – and when you know yourself, you can improve yourself.
7. Gratitude List Counting your blessings by keeping a daily gratitude list helps you appreciate what you have in life. Being thankful for things that are often overlooked on a daily basis yields countless benefits – numerous studies have revealed that people who are able to cultivate gratitude are more satisfied with their lives in general, and are more mentally and physically healthy.
8. Maintain Connections Strong family and social connections are crucial for a healthy support network. Stay active with supportive family members and friends, also seek out joining a club, class, or support group to meet new people.
9. Learn to say “No” Burnout happens easily, it is essential to spend time on your own well-being. If you don’t feel like going to work, then don’t go. Speak up, if you feel overwhelmed. Self-care is not a sign of being selfish.
10. Pay it Forward By helping others you are not only boosting your mental health, but this also leads to a longer life. Giving is also known to positively influence our self-confidence, self-esteem, and general wellbeing.
11. Stop Complaining Complaining is counter-productive and only makes you feel angry and disappointed. If you have something to grumble about, follow it up with a positive solution that will serve to minimize future complaining
12. Capture the Day As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “Finish each day and be done with it.” Today has its own gifts and you need to be 100% present to be open to them. Only then will tomorrow reveal your dreams.
13. Stop Comparing The former American president Theodore Roosevelt said, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” As we typically compare the worst of ourselves to the best about others, this comparison is unfair for our well-being. You can only control one like – yours, make the most of it.
14. You come First Prioritize, stop putting your needs on the back-burner. Yes, help others; but help yourself first. If there was ever a right moment, that moment is now.
15. Love Yourself Enjoy the Journey. Love yourself, love others, and love this life. It is a gift to unwrap each day, to gaze upon with new and excited eyes. Above all, have fun!